« Home | Here we go... » 

Thursday, March 02, 2006 

Dateline: December

So, it was December 2005 when I was getting fed up with my old laptop. It is a Compaq Presario 1800T, with a 700MHz processor, 14" XGA display, and it originally came with Windows ME (ugh.) I guess that means that I got it in about the year 2000, so it was 5 or 6 years old. I had upgraded it to Windows XP years ago, maxed out the memory (at a Lilliputian 320 megabytes), and even changed out the original CD/DVD combo with a CD-RW/DVD combo (kudos to Compaq for making a service manual available on the internet showing me how to disassemble and reassemble the notebook). But it was SLOW to boot, and the early Netgear 802.11g PC-card was flaky--it stopped working if after waking from standby or hibernate, which made the slow booting even more unbearable. And besides, the Tablet PC's are so cool... And half what I originally paid for the Compaq. So I started looking around for tablets. (I wonder why Dell doesn't sell one?) I searched the web for reviews, watched prices, and thought about buying myself a Christmas present. But I'm cheap, and I didn't really need a new laptop. In my next post, I'll describe how I made my decision on which tablet to buy.

About me

  • mpg

Previous posts

 RSS Feed

Book list

Currently reading
  • The Measure of All Things, Ken Alder
Read recently
  • Measuring America, Andro Linklater

Blogroll

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates